Kate Good Consulting
Speaking & Training
Tools of the trade


Thursday, March 26, 2009

Better "Connections" For Your Residents

I have to admit it, I am obsessed with increasing my connections on Linkedin.com. I love that social networking site for professionals. I have connected with some colleagues I have not talked to since my days at Trammell Crow and Gables. This is a great networking tool. Look me up and let’s connect!

I was consulting at an apartment community and we dreamed up an idea that if we created a networking group for our apartment community and the use our database of resident emails, we could create a powerful network for our neighborhood behind our controlled access gates! We sent out an invitation to 280 residents and we had over 75 respond in the first week. The Linkedin invitation is now part of our move in process and helps to introduce our new resident to some of their neighbors. I have even heard feedback that our residents have been using the network to flip business to neighbors who might be in a related field and have a product or service they need. Super idea in this challenging business climate. Smart retention tool and it is free!

2 comments:

  1. Kate, did you set this up as a group?

    I can see some pros and cons to using LinkedIn (a site targeting professionals) over Facebook (which has a LOT more users). Was there one particular reason why you chose LinkedIn?

    Keep me posted on how this goes... It sounds like a great use of a very popular site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    We picked Linkedin because it creates a professional neighborhood. We wanted to promote networking with residents.

    Since this project we have also created a Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete