Kate Good Consulting
Speaking & Training
Tools of the trade


Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Quick! Get out of your OWN way!

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. We reason our way out of things. We tell ourselves we can’t do something. We hold back from something we want because of fear. We have denied things we want saying to ourselves that we don’t deserve them. The list can go on and on and tomorrow we will add more self sabotaging behavior. I know because I often do this myself and I see this happening the in the lives of people closest to me.

Today, I want to encourage you to think about this and look at your actions and see if you are getting in your own way of having what you really want. When you actually see yourself doing this, it starts to feel a little silly and maybe you will reconsider.

I recognize that I have a tendency to want things to be perfect and set myself up for failure with such high expectations. People will disappoint me, I won’t be able to control everything in my life and there will be many times that I have to understand that while it may not be exactly the way I want it I really like what I experience.

The very best thing for us can often be standing right in front of us. It was always there, we just failed to recognize it really is what we want and what is best for us. Hold back no longer. Remove fear, insecurity, limitations and rules. Grab what you want and hold on. You deserve it. It is in your path for a reason so take it without expecting something more and take joy in what the universe has given to you. These are often the best opportunities. Fill each day with life and heart. There is no pleasure in the world comparable to the delight of being happy with what you have and knowing it is good enough for you.

When see self sabotaging behavior and thoughts, you have an opportunity to make a positive change for yourself. A good life is not lived by chance, but by choice. Choose to take bold steps in the direction of your dreams and don’t let anything or anyone hold you back. Don’t worry about what people will say! I have come to the realization that people don’t talk about me or think about me half as much as I think they are. They have lives too! The people closest to you want to see you succeed, not conform. They want you to be happy and will support your choices. Be not afraid to be the person you want to be. Ask yourself “if the life I’m living is the life that wants to live in me?”

Taking chances can be exhilarating. Step forward even if the opportunity is not perfect and make it what you want it to be. Nothing great in life was ever achieved without hard work. I admire the relationship of President and Mrs. Obama. Each one has been quoted to say that it does not come naturally and they make a concerted effort, everyday, to serve each other. They are not always perfect but they are better than most because each one try’s without reservation.

Geena Davis once said “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” Be brave and don’t let fear of rejection or failure be a reason why you never try. You must be fearful about what you are doing or it may not be the right thing for you. Fear is not bad when you are seeking something you love and want. Playing it safe will never deliver what gives you amazing joy and satisfaction. In fact without fear we might become complacent and lazy.

People always tell me that they could not do what I do as a professional speaker because they are afraid to be on stage. Guess what? Me too! Each time I turn on the microphone I have fear yet I also have the time of my life. I know this is truly where I am meant to be. How can fear and self satisfaction and joy all come from one experience? I often wonder if this is really the key to a well fulfilled life. I have learned that when I do not have fear, I am not ready to turn on the microphone. Turn that fear into positive energy to ignite the behavior necessary to succeed in any relationship, job, competition or opportunity.

When you look fear in the face and overcome it amazing things can happen for you. The most exciting experiences of your life will be your most recent memory that you will come to respect as the best that life has to offer you.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do. So jump on your ship and throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the wind in your sails and don’t accept life as merely having what you can live with. Grab a hold of the things you can’t live without and embrace them. Enjoy the adventure and send me a postcard.

2 comments:

  1. I read your webpage and thought of this from Living, Loving, and Learning by Leo Buscaglia.

    Risk
    To laugh is to risk appearing the fool
    to week is to risk being sentimental
    to reach out to another is to risk involvement
    to expose feelings is to risk showing your true self
    to place your ideas and your dreams before the crowd is to risk being called naive
    to love is to risk not being loved in return
    to live is to risk dying
    to hope is to risk despair, and to try is to risk failure.
    But risks must be taken because the greatest risk in life is to risk
    nothing. The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live. Only the person who risks is truly free.

    hallie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hallie,

    Thanks for sharing these words! I am certain people who read my blog will love to hear this!

    All my best, Kate

    ReplyDelete